Reviews and Ratings for solicitor Elissa Thursfield, Llandudno

Thursday 12 May 2016

High heel-gate

11 May 2016 shall be forever known in the Employment world as High Heel-Gate.

An employment agency seemingly clinging to old fashioned smartness stereotypes, sent home a receptionist for refusing to wear high heels. She promptly started a petition which by today has reached some 60,000 signatures.

Storm in a teacup?

I'm one of those infuriating women who will see spending a month's wages on one pair of shoes as money well spent. I love beautiful shoes and am proud of my healthy collection. My ever smart mother on the other hand thinks I am a lunatic.

You would never catch my mother and her generation of workmates at work without being pristinely turned out, this includes high heels. To her it has nothing to do with sexism, or a male's perception of what a woman looks like in heels. Heels (of the appropriate height) are smart.

I however, whilst forever looking for my next pair of beautifully crafted shoes, also have a very abundant collection of practical, comfortable flat shoes, which are regularly worn to the office.

Having discussed this round the water-cooler my colleagues have pointed out the following to me:

1. I always wear heels to Court
2. When I was scheduled for filming for a documentary at work, I wore heels
3. When taken out for a meal at an expensive restaurant, I wouldn't dream of wearing flats

Heels are clearly reserved for when I want to look smart. So, if work has a 'smart' dress code, surely this would translate to me wearing high heels? If this is the case, really what's the problem?

The grumblings in high heel-gate are more subtle. Women don't mind wearing high heels when it is their choice. When they are told they have to, to meet someone else's subjective view there is potentially an issue.

Telling a woman she must wear high heels could potentially be sex discrimination. It is an order given only to women and potentially because of the health implications of the shoes there is a detriment. Telling a man he must wear a tie isn't quite the same thing. Whilst both a man and a woman may be sent home without pay for failing to comply with their respective rules would be fine, there remains the issue of the effect that heels have on health and posture, not to mention bruised and bleeding toes for someone who must spend all day on their feet.

The policy has been swiftly withdrawn, no doubt due to the high profile PWC connection where the heel-gate woman was placed.

So what am I wearing today? High heels, by choice and because they match my outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment